Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Charlie Bone Prequel Series Being Released

When I was teaching I frequently took advantage of my Scholastic bonus points to introduce new series to my students. I would buy and read the books and then do book talks to encourage my students to try new books to broaden their reading choices. Midnight for Charlie Bone (The Children of the Red King, Book 1) was the first book in a fantasy series that is a mix of Harry Potter and Percy Jackson. It has the school aspects of Harry Potter and some of the family issues faced in the Percy Jackson series.

Charlie Bone inherits his abilities from his father, like Percy. He is able to connect with pictures and this talent gets him a slot at Boor's Academy with other gifted students. He learns that they are all descendents of the Red King. The relationship to the King leads the children on adventures that last through eight books.

In June, Nimmo will be publishing Chronicles of the Red King: The Secret Kingdom. This book promises to start at the beginning and explain the origins of the Red King.

As someone who enjoyed reading and sharing the first series, I am looking forward to what she will do with the new series. I will have to get my name on the list at the library. If you have not read the Charlie Bone series, it is another series to consider introducing to your children.

1 comment:

  1. I haven't stopped over here in a while. Thanks for introducing me to another series to check out.

    ReplyDelete