Tuesday, October 4, 2011

You Wouldn't Want to Sail on the Mayflower

You Wouldn't Want to Sail on the Mayflower!: A Trip That Took Entirely Too Longis part of a history series published by Scholastic. I wrote about You Wouldn't Want to Be at the Boston Tea Party!: Wharf Water Tea, You'd Rather Not Drink in a previous blog. While the series has different authors, Peter Cook wrote both these.

This story also uses cartoons and humor to introduce children to the story of the Pilgrim's journey to the New World. As in the previous story, the reader is provided with an identity to help engage with the story. In this case, the readers are told they are a girl making the trip with her parents and brother.

I was impressed that the author attempted to provide historical accuracy. He used the word separatists as the name the Pilgrims were more commonly known as for their religious beliefs. The information on the voyage and life in the colonies is more detailed then some of the picture books available for children.

I have another book to preview before making my purchasing choices for Christmas. So far, I think these books will be on my Christmas list.

No comments:

Post a Comment