Thursday, November 10, 2011

Samuel Eaton's Day

Samuel Eaton's Day: A Day in the Life of a Pilgrim Boyis the second of Kate Water's books I borrowed to review. While it is too late for this year's Thanksgiving purchases, I am always trying to find new books to put on the list. You never know what you might find at sales during the year before I place next year's order.

As with Sarah Morton's Day: A Day in the Life of a Pilgrim Girl the story uses the real life of a Pilgrim boy as interpreted at Plimoth Plantation to create a picture book for children.

Like Sarah, Samuel has also lost a parent, in his case his mother. He is approaching his first rye harvest with the hope that he can demonstrate his worthiness to be allowed more adult tasks and responsibilities. The two characters meet and greet each other in the book and the books share a similar format. Children are introduced to Samuel's clothing, his chores, and his family life. According to the author's notes, the child that portrayed Samuel in this book was not an interpreter at Plimoth Plantation, although his mother was at the time the book was written in the late 1980's.

I have to reserve the last two books in the series from the library to refresh my memory about them. However, the first two have convinced me to put them on my list of books to acquire.

No comments:

Post a Comment