Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters

After listening to Pride and Prejudice and Zombies (Quirk Classic Series)
I put Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters (Quirk Classic Series) on my list of books to acquire from the library. The reviews were not impressive, but I wanted to decide for myself.

My tastes must be different from others because I laughed my way through the book. I listened while working on writing projects, housework, and crochet projects and I found it hilarious. Prior to listening to this book, I listened to an unabridged copy of Sense and Sensibility last week. I wanted a chance to review the original story prior to hearing the parody.

This parody is a combination of Sense and Sensibility, 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea (Qualitas Classics) and Creature Double Feature. While fans of Sense and Sensibility might be outraged, I found I could not stop laughing.

Sea creatures have gone wild and humans are at war with them. Those familiar with Verne will see the influence on adding a sea station to deal with the rising sea levels in flooded London and the technology of subs and underwater diving suits to assist in the battle. In this version, a sea witch curses Colonel Brandon with the face of a sea monster. This creates even more challenges in his quest to win the younger Miss Dashwood’s heart.

While I enjoyed the zombies in the remaking of Pride and Prejudice, trying to stick strictly to the plot of the original made it very restrictive. One of the complaints of this story was one of my enjoyments. The story does add more to the plot in order to make carry of the sea monster plot.

There are many monster classics on the market. I am hoping more come out on CD as I find them a wonderful distraction to listen to while accomplishing other tasks. I will continue to watch for them at my local library.

No comments:

Post a Comment