Wednesday, August 1, 2018

The Read Aloud Handbook



I went and borrowed a copy of The Read-Aloud Handbook: Seventh Editionback in June because while he's retired, I knew he'd updated the book since I'd last read it and I wanted to see what he had to say about reading aloud. This last edition was published in 2013, but he had come into the modern age of the Internet and technology. I'd originally read his book as an undergraduate and purchased it as part of a number of shower gifts for people. Then for some reason I'd stopped.

What I've always liked about his premise is that it is a positive one. It always starts with the premise it isn't too late to start something with your kids. If you didn't start when they were babies, don't panic you aren't an evil parent, you can still work on it. He's also realistic, if you have a high school student you've never read to and the teen isn't interested it probably isn't a battle you want to fight.

He rights a balanced approach for parents and teachers. You will find advice throughout the book geared to both parents and teachers and he often explains how techniques can or can't be used across both areas. I specifically liked his discussion about getting primary teachers to read chapter books along with picture books to children. Equally, I found the discussion of SSR or Sustained Silent Reading at home and in school an important one. It is one he's refused to back down on regardless of how the times have changed since I first read his early book and I admire that about him.

I honestly don't remember the advice to Dad's in the earlier book I read, but in fairness it's been a long time and my copy is long gone to someone else who needed it. This I found to be an important chapter. He spoke kindly to Dads in a way that would encourage and empower them to get involved and become a part of their children's literacy process rather than trying to abuse or shame them into taking part. I think encouragement tends to yield longer term goals then shame. Some father's may not read or take his advice, but for those who want to do better but aren't sure how to get started, I thought he wrote a couple of supportive sections that could lead a father to understanding the importance of his role in helping his child to want to learn and to enjoy reading.

There are lots of book lists out there, free and in other paid formats both print and online. I've always thought his selection was a great way to encourage parents to read. My one disappointment is the original reader had more suggestions for the upper elementary student. I remember discovering Goodnight Mr. Tom after reading through the book the first time for a college assignment and needing to choose books I hadn't read for a project. The books in this last book don't seem to have quite the range of the older book I had.

No comments:

Post a Comment