Tuesday, May 22, 2018

Thor Speaks!




Thor Speaks!: A Guide to the Realms by the Norse God of Thunder is the last book currently available in the Secrets of the Gods series. It was published in 2015 so I'm not sure if the author plans any future additions to the series or not. I'm hopeful as I think it fills a gap for accessible material that elementary students can read themselves. It's always nice when there are choices about what materials suit a child best rather than just using something because it is available.

I will say I was most excited about finding this volume as I've been looking for some elementary level material for the Middle Ages and Viking period that was factual and accurate, but also fun and engaging for a reluctant reader. As I've stated before in reviews, humor is a great way to engage kids with reading material that you want them to know. However, the humor can't get in the way of the facts and information being accurate. On the other hand, with reluctant readers if they won't read it or even listen to it you've also lost the battle. So, finding a series like this is important.

This is the first volume where we don't meet the God of death. The book is again written in the first person switching from Thor to Loki and back but always staying in the voice of the character telling the story. I think children will enjoy the childish pranking and bickering between the two and while humorous it does address stories and relationships that will give children a better understanding of Norse mythology.

While all the volumes have some mythology stories in them, this volume has the most of the three. I found this a plus because while I have volumes of kids versions of children's Greek and Roman myths, I've found it harder to collect children's Norse myths. Including them in this story is a great introduction or refresher of Norse myths. Learn about the evolution of Runes, the challenges of Odin, the issues with giants, and the constant problem of Loki all as you tour through the lands with Thor.

This was the most detailed of the three books. The inclusion of more mythology stories made for a stronger introduction to mythology. If your looking to supplement a unit on Vikings or Norse Mythology this is a good choice.

1 comment:

  1. I found it hard to find age appropriate viking materials to teach with. My kids were so interested in that time period but most books about vikings were about pillaging and rape and bloodshed. My kids really do like learning about Norse gods though and this sounds like a great book. We also enjoyed Odd and the Frost Giants. Thanks so much for sharing with us at Love to Learn. Pinned.

    ReplyDelete